A credit freeze is a way to protect your credit reports from being used by scammers to open new accounts. It is a smart option if your identity has been stolen or you believe your information has been compromised. You can freeze and unfreeze your credit file at no charge. Be aware that while a credit freeze is in place, you restrict access to your credit report so most lenders can’t see your information until you unfreeze it, even if you’ve given them permission to do so. A credit freeze while you are trying to apply for a loan, credit card, or a job; obtain insurance; rent an apartment; set up electric or phone service; and more can create hassles and delays. Unfreezing your credit report requires the use of a password-protected account or a PIN.
Freeze Your Credit, To place a “freeze” on your credit report, contact each of the three credit bureaus at:
1. TransUnion: www.transunion.com/credit-freeze ( or call 888-909-8872)
2. TransUnion: www.transunion.com/credit-freeze ( or call 888-909-8872)
3. Equifax: www.freeze.equifax.com(or call 888-298-0045)
4. Experian: www.experian.com/freeze/center ( or call 888-397-3742)
Stop telemarketing & robocalls
1. Register your phone number with the Do Not Call Registry at 1-888-382-1222 or www.donotcall.gov.
2. Visit www.nomorobo.com to install nomorobo for free on your digital, non-analog landline, or call your phone provider.
Use free resources available at BBB
1. Check out a company with Better· Business Bureau (BBB) BEFORE you do business, www.bbb.org or 800-273-1002
2. File a complaint against a company.
3. Check out www.bbb.org/scamtracker/wisconsin to see scams reported in your area.